Little Wonders

I've held out on posting this for the past week or so. It's a painting that was done to enter in an Art prize that is to be held this weekend. The theme was 'small is beautiful' and was to be done on a surface 12 inches x 12 inches. I chose to continue with a theme that I'd worked on previously with the bird/female compositions, though this one is lot more colourful!

Seeing the theme was 'small is beautiful', I chose to centre my painting around the intriguing hummingbird, which are among the smallest birds in the world. I picked the Ruby throated hummingbird as I loved their colours and markings and thought they'd be a lot of fun to paint, which they were!

The tattoo that features on the females shoulder is an Aztec design and chosen as the Aztec god Huitzilopochtli is often depicted as a hummingbird.

In the photos below you will see my progress from start to finish.















The final piece "Little Wonders"

Comments

Popular Posts